Re: Gab Gab Gab Gab Gabocorp

by "Aaron Varner" <aaron(at)yvn.com>

 Date:  Fri, 5 Feb 1999 07:12:08 -0800
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Ladd <laddasso(at)tigger.jvnc.net>

>Please. Please people. Check your tender feelings at the door.
>This is a CRITIQUE LIST. That means your work gets criticized.
>A "harsh" or "brusque" tone doesn't rise to the level of rudeness.
>Did any of you folks go to art school? Were your teachers always
>dancing around your tender feelings? Of course not. Sometimes,
>directness drives home the point more effectively than niceness.
>Remember, this is NOT a "support group", it's a critique list.

I beg to differ.  The really good teachers that most students remember are
the ones that could critique WITHOUT hurting feelings.  There is a
difference between constructive criticism and being just downright rude!  A
good critiquer points out flaws, while suggesting or hinting at improvements
without hurting the person's feelings. A comment such as "that's a bad
example of what Flash is capable of" is not a critique, it is a rude
comment.  It offers no motivation or encouragement, period.  I think it's
time some of us got of our "high horse" and realized every one of us was a
beginner at one time or another, and if you do not wish to politely share
your knowledge with the newcomers, etc, maybe you're on the wrong list.  I,
myself, have learned a lot from this list, and appreciate most of your
comments!