RE: web design -- one Photoshop file with everything ???

by "Gary Barber" <gazbe(at)omen.com.au>

 Date:  Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:59:22 +0800
 To:  "L. J. Durham" <taliesinmedia(at)yahoo.co.uk>,
"Hwg-Graphics@Hwg. Org" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Lisa Scribes

> ROFL Gary --
>
> Here is a direct quote from the master himself --
>
> "I have no intention of being a web designer so I dont need this stuff"
> (but hes "designing" this web project) -- They think I am "so funny"
> here for being so involved (and for "caring way too much") -- that
> includes groups like this one ---------

This is just so true... I know a lot of people like this, especially some IT
graduates doing web design while looking for a REAL job.  I hate this. Its
like Web Design is down there with waiting on tables, deliveriing papers
etc...

I get the "why are you so passionate and over the top on the design and look
all the time" from IT people all the time. Its funny they can't see that
creative element the visuals and process is why some of us do it. Its a
labour of love (sometimes not I must admit!).  They just can't understand
when you're presenting a proposal you can act out the movement of the object
on for a MultiMedia StoryBoard.  They think you are crazy.  Now you go talk
to the Marketing and Public Relations people and they welcome you with
comments like "we just don't understand these techheaded geeks IT" . The web
designer is in both camps, its a  funny road we travel.

> But a question for my purposes at least?
>
> I create the images needed and use Quark to lay them out. This includes
> backgrounds, frames, images, etc.
> It serves the same function as your laying things out in Photoshop --
> to get the client to give his approval to design and layout etc from a
> visual perspective.

Now you see I personally can see Quark is good at what it does, But I'm
really more a home in PS, I just live and breathe in it and my WYSIWYG
Editor.

If I had as much experience in Quark as I have in PS then yes, I would
layout in Quark or Pagemaker.

> Given that I am using the pantone system in all of my applications,
> including their internet pallette, I ensure that I am working with the
> same web-safe colors across the board for all elements.

Do you use version 1 of their web palette or version 2.  Version one was out
on some of the greens thats all.  I have both.

How good do you find the little bit of supplimentary software with the
palettte.  I don't use it much.

> A huge part of it is the client and their willingness to work with the
> constraints of a difficult medium that is constantly changing. Some
> clients will be difficult regardless of the medium in which they need
> your services.

Yes this one of the biggest problems with a client that is new to the
medium.  I now walk them through a mini introduction to the web and bill it
back as consulting if I can, most cases they are happy that someone has
shown them the ropes.