RE: New site

by "Armando Luna" <mando(at)rgv-online.com>

 Date:  Sat, 30 Jan 1999 21:20:06 -0000
 To:  "Eric J Hoffman" <ehoffman(at)minn.net>,
"Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>,
"Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>, <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
With all the talk about extensions, I thought I'd put in my own reasons for
using a combination of both .htm and .html.

I use ColdFusion, which by default parses files with a .cfm extension.  I
didn't want to use the .cfm extension (a couple years ago some search
engines would not include files without .htm or .html extensions, much like
some ignore urls with variables), so I configured my webserver (WebSite
Professional) to parse .htm files, but not .html files.

With this setup, if I have a file that contains ColdFusion tags, I name it
.htm.  If it doesn't require CF, I give it a .html extension.

Hope this sheds a different light on the subject...

On the other hand, maybe if I used Novell instead of WebSite, or FrontPage
instead of HomeSite, I wouldn't have this freedom of choice.

Armando