Re: graphic tablet <was drawing tools>

by "Jennifer Bowman" <jbowman(at)longwood.lwc.edu>

 Date:  Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:24:41 -0400
 To:  "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I don't know anything about this particular graphics tablet, but I have used
an earlier version of the wacomm tablet and it pretty much worked as
advertised.  That tablet connected into the mouse port and then had an
adapter connected to it so you could have the mouse and tablet both
connected and in use at once.  A pressure sensitive stylus (i.e. pen) will
be beneficial if you do much illustration or masking.  It will still take as
much coordination to work with the tablet as is does to work with a mouse
when tweaking your images. The pointer control with a tablet is similar to a
touchpad in the sense that your screen size and the tablet "drawing" area
will differ and can prevent you from making fluent strokes across the entire
screen without having to lift the pen and move back to another spot on the
tablet, which is sometimes troublesome when illustrating or masking large,
detailed images. (Sorry if that sounds confusing.) The software accompanying
many tablets, including the earlier Wacomm I used, lets you customized your
preferences to minimize this. Bottom line--I think the tablets are nice to
have around if you have the money to spare, but you might have to put in
some practice before it will become a time efficient/superior alternative to
the mouse.