RE: Recommend scanner?

by "Michael Wilson" <mwilson(at)xionmedia.com>

 Date:  Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:02:36 -0500
 To:  "'Norman Bunn'" <norman.bunn(at)craftedsolutions.com>,
"'Linda'" <lindajeane(at)mac.com>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

It totally depends on your needs and how much emphasis you place on
quality and speed among other things. For business use including Web
Development and Print I recommend any of the following:

HP scanjet 7490c professional series color scanner
MicroTek ScanMaker 8700 Pro Design
Umax PowerLook 1100

Each more expensive than the norm, but well worth the money for the
quality they produce.

> - If you have USB, get a scanner with it.  Much easier than
> trying to run
> it through the printer port.

Better yet get a SCSI or FireWire interface.

> - The scanning software that came with my HP 5200 is a memory
> and resource
> hog, and runs extremely slowly (PII 450, 384MB)

HP Precisionscan Pro 3.0 is an excellent scanning software. I don't know
if that's what you are running, but scanning of any type is memory and
processor intensive.

> - HP scanners come in different versions based on the bundled
> software.  Make sure you get the bundle tailored to your needs
> - Scanners are very cheap and you can get some great features
> for very
> little money

For very little money you make sacrifices -- speed, quality, durability,
larger scanning surface, slide and transparency adapters and document
feeders.

> - If you are not doing a lot of scanning, stick with the
> consumer level
> models.  It'll save you significant $.

If you are performing a service for clients the quality of your work has
to count for something as well. Most of the more expensive models will
pay for themselves in the long run, through referrals and repeat
business. For business I recommend you look at some of the mid to high
end scanners Vs. the economy models you could pick up for personal use.

> - I have an HP and a ScanMagic (came free from my ISP for
> signing up fro
> DSL).  Can't tell much difference between the scans,
> especially for the web
> (72 ppi).

You should scan your images at 300 dpi initially and reduce the
resolution to 72 dpi in the photo software of your choice. You will get
better detail, clarity and color with this method.

Mike