RE: Image ethics

by SGT Thomas Fisher <raidermp(at)clds.net>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:49:00 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  "'Jim H'" <jim(at)haslam.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I won't go into detail on the image problem so much since others here have
offered very good ways of doing this.
But I did notice that in the original question, you stated that you *could*
just walk away, but it seemed that you would like to keep this client.
The comments made in the one response were true, there are a lot of clients
out there that are "Type A,B, whatever" people.  It's a fact of life.  This
doesn't automatically make it necessary to just put your foot down and be
the same type of person, unwilling to help change that persons mind.  You
can still hold to your ground/morals, while trying to change their mind.
I have many times in the past, had to deal with these types of people.  The
old saying "You attract more flies with honey..." often works here.  This
doesn't mean give in and do what the client wants however.  Instead, talk to
her (as hard as that may be) and try to eventually get her to think that
*she* is the one that made the decision to get this information for you.
Explain to her that as an old and valued client, you wouldn't want to lose
her as a client over an issue like this and a possible lawsuit from that
wholesaler.  Tell her that you are thinking of yourself as well as her
business, since you depend on her for your paycheck as well.
I can pretty much guarantee that when this is presented to her, she will
change her mind when she sees (read=you give the impression) that you care
as much about her business, as you do yours.  After that, most business
owners will see your interest in the issue in a different light.
In *my* opinion, since you want to really keep this client rather than walk
away, you should give this a shot.  If after all this, she is still too
stubborn to see things in this light, you may *have* to thank her for the
business and end the relationship.

HTH,
Thomas