RE: rounded edges (in photoshop)

by "Shay Jones" <shay(at)wcnet.net>

 Date:  Thu, 4 Feb 1999 03:44:40 -0600
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Just thought I'd throw in my 2-cents worth.  Certainly using the Marquee
tool and setting the smooth modification is a very quick and simple way to
accomplish this.  I, however, consistently use this method and, to me, it's
just as quick and simple - I also end up with a formatted channel that I can
use repeatedly on other layers.  Additionally, I can vary the design shape
instead of having a single simple box.

1. Select Channels and create a new channel
2. Use the marquee tool to draw your box
3. Do CNTRL-I
4. Select all
5. Use the Gaussian Blur tool to blur the image - increasing the pixel
radius will increase the roundness of the corners
6. Do Image | Adjust | Levels
7. Drag the two outer triangles in to the center - The closer you get, the
more defined the curves become and less blurred.
8. Not a bad idea to label the channel, especially if you have more than one
curve set.  You can do this by selecting Channel Options on the side bar
menu
9. Now go to Layers and select a new layer
10. Enter Select | Load Selection and enter the channel you just created (or
select from the list of channels created)
11. The selection is made - Use the paint tool, or Edit | Fill

Shay