Re: GIF - UNISYS issue

by "Andy Innes" <innax(at)icon.co.za>

 Date:  Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:51:38 +0200
 To:  "Darren Lampson" <dlampson555(at)home.com>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
That is my understanding of the issue. My worry is that if you use, say, Gif
Construction Set for moving gif89a's and they (GCS) are not licensed, you
pay $5000.00 one-off licensing fee per site. burnallgifs.org has a freeware
utility for converting gif to png and I am seriously considering going that
route, just to avoid being caught in the crossfire.

Unisys are changing their position on LZW all the time, but I think it
currently says that if you design a site which is commercial, you pay the
fee for gif usage if there is one gif or more on your site that was created
using software by a developer that that didn't pay UNISYS the LZW license
fee.

IT'S SCARY

Andy