RE: Hardware Recommendations

by "Randy Shively" <rshively(at)erinet.com>

 Date:  Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:03:35 -0500
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
If I can throw my opinion into the fray...

The video card has no effect on rendering time. This is primarily based on
processors and ram. The more you have, the better.  Software has to be
multithreaded to take advantage of the second processor. I think that the
big three, alias, softimage, and Max only support up to two processors.
Notice also that this requires running NT unless you're running the first
two packages on some permutation of Unix. The video cards, especially with
texture features, really do speed up the interface though.

For web work, a two monitor setup works fantastic. Anymore, there are quite
a few ways to go about this. Most will use two video cards. I use a Fire
GL3000 and have been quite pleased with it the past couple of years.

Most of the expensive hardware is just a luxury in my opinion. The majority
of images that can be transferred effectively over the web can be developed
on a 386 or a Lisa.  The bad thing about the latest and greatest hardware is
that it really spoils you into thinking it is somewhat close to the norm.
Same with access speeds.

My two cents.

Cheers.
--
Randy Shively� -� rshively(at)erinet.com

icq#� 29723479