Re: cohabitate

by "Support Services' Help Desk" <help_desk(at)starrwolfdesign.com>

 Date:  Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:45:47 -0600
 To:  <kishjunior(at)sssnet.com>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
On the topic of multi browsers on the same HD ....

The reasons multiple browsers run on the same HD is because they are unique
enough in the Registry to function w/o sharing vital files.

All browsers (and all files for that matter) get stored in the Registry.
Therefore, as long as the Registry is free from shared file conflicts you
can run as many browsers and versions of the same browser as your HD will
hold.

IE, for example, will not get along well with other IE versions because its
Registry files are proprietary.

NN, on the other hand, is not as proprietary and 2 versions can co-exist
within the same Registry. We run NN4.7 and NN3.0 together quite nicely as
long as they are not opened at the same time.

Something we find as a common misconception is that  many believe that if
you partition your HD and store various versions within those partitions
they will run w/o conflict. This is not true as long as the partitions share
a single Registry.

A real-world example is opening a checking account in a multi-branch banking
institution. It does not matter which *branch* (partition) you deposit your
money - it all ends up in the same account because all of the *branches*
(partitions) share the same, single central computing system (Registry).

The only way to make partitions of the same HD unique is to run an O/S
within each partition.

Hopes this helps.

Help Desk
Support Services