Re: Transparent background with PSP

by "Shay" <shay(at)wcnet.net>

 Date:  Mon, 9 Feb 1998 05:29:37 -0600
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>,
"Karen" <calow(at)ils.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Karen,

Just set your background color to an index value equal to what the
background is that you want to make transparent.

If that sounds a little confusing, it doesn't have to be.  Here's the gist
of it.  Suppose your background is white.  You set your background color to
white and save the gif image.  Now you go to your web page and find that you
still have a white background.  Here's what went wrong.  Open your image in
PSP, use the eye dropper on the image background and click once on the color
pallete.  You'll get a gif color pallete showing the colors assigned to your
image.  Notice which index value is selected as your white background.  It
could be one of a number of index values which may not be equal to the index
value your set for your background color.  In fact, you may have several
"white" background colors mixed in with the primary - Which will really
throw off your transparency.

Here's the solution - Capture your background with the magic wand.  Make
sure your tolerance is at least 10 - This will capture about 10 index values
around your primary color.  Then select ONE primary white color for your
background and use the paint can to fill the background area.  Now save your
gif with the background set for you primary color - Easiest way - right
click on the eye dropper.

Now save your file in a Gif 89a format (Gif 87a does not define
transparency - It must be a Gif89a to get the transparency)

That's it!!!

If I've blown your mind and confused you more than I wanted - write me
privately and I'll be glad to cut through all the BS.

Shay  B-)

Bare Tranquility Web Design
http://www.wcnet.net/shay/index.html
shay(at)wcnet.net  /  shay(at)intertex.net
Member of the HTML Writer's Guild
http://www.hwg.org/