Re: background & screen res

by "A I" <innax(at)icon.co.za>

 Date:  Sat, 14 Oct 2000 21:04:59 +0200
 To:  "Lonna Poland" <lonna(at)granbury.com>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The problem with aol would be that they compress any graphics over a certain
screen size - this allows their users faster downloads.

You could check with someone who programs AOL-compliant pages as a matter of
course - I think the width limit on a graphic is 800px

Sorry - while that is always useful info - the following is your problem:

Your background image has a fixed width. You want to force a horizontal
scroll if someone resizes their browser, so your burnt eddge still shows as
part of the page.

There are many ways of doing this, but this is the one I would go for:

In your image editor (photoshop / whatever), cut the white space to the
right of your background image, then divide your original image into three
(left border, center background and right border) and save as three seperate
jpegs:

left, center and right

Now create a borderless table with three columns.

Make columns one and three the exact width of your border images
respectively.
Column 2 is your original width of 450px

Now put the images left and right into their cells with valign = top (be
sure not to use them as backgrounds without "nowrap" or Netscape will eat
you for breakfast.

Now specify center as your background image for the center cell and place
your images and text there as before

Hope this helped

Andy