Re: Graphics tablets: Yes or No?

by "Travis Wall" <wallt(at)cadvision.com>

 Date:  Tue, 16 Mar 1999 07:57:51 -0700
 To:  "HWG Graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>While the Calcomp tablets may be cheaper there is a good reason for
>that...I've seen reports that they are (or soon will be) out of
>business completely. So that means no customer support, no driver
>upgrades and no one to turn to if you get a lemon.

    Where are these reports? They don't mention
    anything of the sort at Calcomp's website and
    have recently (in the last quarter I believe)
    released a series of new tablet and tablet/software
    bundles. Unless this is really recent I'd chalk it
    up to rumormongering (it doesn't make sense
    anyway, a company with fine products like Calcomp
    would be bought rather than just go under).

    Oh, and to keep it on topic - I agree with much of
    what's been said, get a tablet if you do a lot of free
    hand stuff (they're really useful for free-hand
    masking in raster programs) or if you don't like
    your lines too clean (mice make an even stroke,
    good tablets are pressure sensitive [I should say
    drawing tablets are, CADD tablets aren't]).

cheers
 ---
Travis Wall, Graphic Designer
Defiance Visual Industries

"there can be no God's eye view of the world"
 --- (author unknown)