Re: Hardware Recommendations

by "Leslie Nielsen" <lnielsen(at)pacificweb.com>

 Date:  Thu, 18 Mar 1999 02:28:37 -0800
 To:  "Stephen K. Fisk" <skfisk(at)iserv.net>,
"HWG Graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I agree with Peter Williams about a high level system.  I am going all out
since it will be a personal system, too.  This is what I currently have
being built:

Dual Pentium motherboard (using a single processor to start)
PIII 500
1024 MB RAM (max board will take)
Canopus Spectra 2500 AGP 16MB, Riva TNT chipset.
        This is an excellent video card.  It comes with TV out that allows
you to view
        WEB TV content on a TV, not a monitor.  Haven't tried doing that
yet, but
        that's what I expect anyways.
Canopus Pure 3D II LX (w/o TV OUT) 12 MB Hardware Accelerator
3x 'Cheetah' 9.1 GB 10,000 rpm, 80 mb/sec Ultra 2-LVD SCSI Hard Drive's
Onstream Parallel Zip Drive, 50 GB capacity (can use their 30 or 50 GB
disks)
Sound Blaster LIVE!
US Robotics 56K modem
        (don't need it since I've got a dedicated T1, just want it to check
out dial-up,
        besides doesn't cost much)
Sony 5X/24X DVD ROM
Sony 4/2/24X IDE CD Recorder/Rewritable
Panasonic 120 MB/1.44 MB Super Drive
Logitech Internet Keyboard
Logitech Trackman Marble FX Trackball  (sick of mice)
Cambridge Soundworks Speaker System
Hitachi 21" Color Monitor, .22 dp, 1600x1280 resolution
        (most excellent monitor)
Win NT/Win 98 Dual Boot Capable

Fortunately, I have a friend that runs a computer wholesale company, so I
can get some decent prices.  If I had to tone my list down, I would
definitely ditch the PIII 500 for a PII 400 or 450, bring my RAM down to an
earthly 256 MB and maybe ditch one of the Hard Drives.  Now, these are MY
favourite components, you may want to change brand names (Matrox instead of
Canopus, etc).

HTH,
Egon Nielsen
Pacific Web
www.pacificweb.com
(This site is under heavy reno, so we went to an older, more antiquated
edition. :(  Sorry for it's looks)