Re: color theory

by "Travis Wall" <wallt(at)cadvision.com>

 Date:  Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:33:50 -0700
 To:  "HWG Graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>,
"Kristi Russell" <darkfires(at)darkfires.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Can you all recommend to me a good book on color theory? How to
>choose colors, etc etc...

    Try
    Frans Gerritsen's; _Theory and Practice of
    Color_

    or
    Harald K�epper's; _Color in Public Spaces_

    If I recall correctly these are reasonably good
    primers in colour theory (especially the public
    spaces one, the guy is talking about architecture
    but it translates very well). Beyond this, try
    digging around in 'Colour Perception' sections
    of your libraries.

    A much better source for colour theory than any-
    thing in print is a good trip to an art gallery or
    museum. Especially one with paintings done
    between 1500 and 1900. And even better still, play
    around with it, colour theory really depends on
    who you ask, where they've been trained, &c. And
    even then they'll be able to pass on tips but no
    practical experience; that only comes from playing.

---
Travis Wall, Graphic Designer
Defiance Visual Industries

"there can be no God's eye view of the world"
--- (author unknown)