Re: graphic tablet very basic question & Re: graphic tablet <was drawing tools>

by "David Rapp" <David(at)rappd.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Fri, 22 Oct 1999 16:18:31 +0100
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Susan Pinder wrote,

> I see that the Graphic Tablet comes bundled with some software.  Do you
have
> to create your drawing using the software it comes with, and then export
it
> to a progam like Flash as a GIF?

With my tablet (Wacom) I can use either the Stylus or mouse to run any
program on my system. Of course the use of pressure sensitive tools in
something like quake isn't noticable but, with Paint Shop Pro, Flash et al
it works for direct drawing and retouching.

> I was hoping that the graphic tablet would work in any image editing
> package.. taking over for the mouse when selected..

Thats what happens. Although I think of it more has supplementing the mouse.

While Windsong also wrote,

> Question: Can the stylus be "replaced" or upgraded to
> something that is easier to work with? I have heard this previously
> that the stylus is difficult to work with.

I'm not sure with the tablet mentioned before but with the Inutos I have a
whole range of different tools are available for use. Some people do have
difficulty using the stylus allthough when some Artist friends of mine used
my system they didn't have any trouble using the stylus I had. Also I've
never had major difficulties with it.

> Also I am curious to know what exactly any list members who have
> the tablets use them for, ie: where do they come in the handiest and > do
they justify the cost?( touchups or actual creating/drawing etc?)

Mostly I use it for creating a quick digital rough of how I want the site to
look then if custom graphics are needed use the tablet to draw them. I find
it offers much more precision than a mouse, especially with regard to giving
work a hand drawn feeling. Justifying the cost is a tough one. I don't use
the tablet I have all the time, most of my day is spent coding, but when I
need to use it, I find myself working much faster than when I had a mouse.
The precision offered gives me a greater feeling of control when working in
image apps. It also allows me to experiment much more (More/Less Pressure
etc.) and normally I get the effect I want faster.

> I was thinking about buying graphire or pen partner but am afraid i
> would outgrow it too quickly...and maybe should look at a 4x5 or
> larger and grow in to it...??????????????

Tough question, I started with an A4 (Being in the UK) and find that to be
plenty large enough. In fact I haven't even thought about changing it for a
larger model. The problem is that if you say bought the Graphire a while
down the road you might find yourself wanting a larger tablet and would have
a spare one. But you might not take to the tablet that quickly and may find
a larger one a waste of the money.

This story might or might not help,

A few months ago, just after purchasing a tablet, I offered to buy my
brother one for a birthday present (He was studying Graphic Design at the
time), he said he wouldn't need it, that it would be a waste of money etc,
so I bought him something else, he then came round used my tablet and cursed
the fact that he didn't get one.

The best advice would be to try before you buy, (I know they are rare in
Canada so that might not be possible) if a store won't let you do that (or
don't sell them) then I'd see if I could find someone else who's taken the
plunge and use their tablet to see if it works for you.