RE: monitor for graphics?

by "Peter Williams" <Peter.Williams(at)hendersons.com.au>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:07:22 +1000
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
This has been an interesting discussion,
Those "wires" are actually the shadow cast by the two horizontal
bracing or damping wires. The trinitron tube uses a grid of fine
vertical wires to from the aperture grille that the electrons must go
through to illuminate the phosphour coating on the inside of the tube face.
To stop these fine wires from vibrating and messing up the picture
two horizontal wires are used to brace the vertical grid. The vertical
wires would vibrate from being struck by the electrons without this
bracing. In 15" and smaller monitors there is only 1 horizontal wire,
but in 17" and larger two are used.

Normal (non-trinitron) monitors use a shadow mask with holes in it rather
than the vertical slots created by the vertical wire grid in a trinitron.
That is what dot pitch is measuring, the distance between holes in the
mask. The masks are to make sure that only the electrons from the
correct colour gun illuminate the correct areas of phosphour coating.

Peter Williams
LAN Support/Webmaster