RE: What's involved with image mapping?

by "Peter Williams" <Peter.Williams(at)hendersons.com.au>

 Date:  Thu, 3 Dec 1998 09:12:39 +1100
 To:  "Eugene Gruhler" <eugene(at)accu-measure.com>,
"hwg-graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

It can be done by hand using your normal graphics editor
to note the coordinates of the "hot areas", and composing
the matching html by hand. Or you could use a free/shareware
image map tool to do the grunt work. These let you select areas
while viewing the image and will create the correct html coding
for you. All the above is dealing with client side image maps.

http://www.acn.purdue.edu/docs/html/imagemap/index.html
has a simple example/tutorial.

These days I think image slicing and tables are the more common
way to do what you want. The image is cut into discrete chunks
and re-assembled in a table, each chunk becomes a simple hyperlink.

Again programs such as Macromedia Fireworks have automated tools
to do all the grunt work for you, or freeware tools such as
Picture Dicer will do the cutting and table generation.

Peter Williams
LAN Support/Webmaster