RE: hwg-graphics-digest V1 #336

by Ernie Black <eblack(at)applix.com>

 Date:  Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:26:50 -0800
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
One more note about running PhotoShop on WinNT: your system wants more RAM
to run PS well than it would on Win95 or Win98. NT is far more stable than
95 or 98, and it handles memory very differently. As a result, the OS itself
wants more memory than the other OSs do. But once you reach that "sweet
point" (on NT 4, 128 MB RAM), stability is the rule. I'm running NT 4.0 on a
Dell P266 with 192 MB RAM, and I frequently have PhotoShop, ImageReady, Cold
Fusion Studio, MS Outlook, three or more browsers, Word, Access and maybe
two or three additional programs running (including playing an audio cd),
and NT remains stable. I generally power down only on the weekends. I could
never do this when I had 64 MB RAM on the same PC. Of course, the more RAM,
the happier PhotoShop is.

As for whether NT is better than 95 or 98, it depends also on what you're
looking for. NT is not Plug-n-Play, whereas 98 and, to a lesser degree, 95
are. Also, NT does not support USB and 98 does.

HTH,

Ernie

   Ernest Black, Web Developer
     Applix, Inc.
     114 Turnpike Road, Westboro MA 01581
     Visit our web site at:  www.applix.com
     e-mail: eblack(at)applix.com
     voice:  508-870-0300 x423
     fax:    508-366-2278
If Descartes had invented HTML:
"I link, therefore I am."

 >Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 22:34:36 -0500
 >From: Tom Grenier <tom(at)sqlman.com>
 >Subject: Re: Windows NT
 >
 >About the same for me -- NT4 (and an older machine with windows98).  NT is
 >much more stable than win98 -- which is why I went to it.  I use Photoshop,
 >PSP, Visio, Dreamweaver, Flash, Xara3D, Pixel 3D, WebEdit Pro as well as a
lot
 >of programming and database tools.
 >
 >You do have to be careful with software and hardware (and more care with
 >hardware) that the product will run on NT.  Most stuff does, but not all.

<snip>