Re: Question on Large Image

by "Donald Heppner" <heppner(at)cybersurf.net>

 Date:  Mon, 15 Dec 1997 23:15:24 -0700
"Collin Lim" <collinlim(at)hotmail.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Breaking your image down into smaller images will result in a slightly
larger file size (with JPEG's, the difference in file size seems to be
less).

Aside from the multiple server connections to get the complete image, there
are a few things to consider:

1) With separate images, you can have different ALT tags for each piece of
content

2) If you are going to be using the image on several pages, but have to
change things like text labels, breaking the image down into dynamic and
static sections will reduce download time (reusable images are stored in
cache)

3) Tables are not as widely supported (vs. no tables).  You wouldn't believe
the number of ISP's that ship NN1.0, just because it fits on one disk.

I recently used (am using) the multiple image = one image approach for
creating page headings.  Since the only things that change are the nav bar
and page title, users download 13K on the first load, and 7K in subsequent
loads.

Donald

PS: If you use a JPEG (and re-save it in LView :), you should be able to get
a 640*480 image down to less than 50K (closer to 30K if you are lucky).