Re: Celeron Processors & Video?

by "Mike Eovino" <meovino(at)erols.com>

 Date:  Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:22:35 -0400
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Intel Celeron processors are intended to be less expensive yet still
>somewhat powerful for those individuals who want a higher end computer
>without spending loads of money.  It is true that for high-end multimedia
>Celerons are not the best choice, but you can still do it.  All it will
>entail, from my understanding anyway, is that doing multimedia stuff
>(video, audio, graphics, etc.) will take longer for the program to complete
>tasks.  It can still do everything, but it will just be slower than on,
>say, an Intel Pentium II or III.
>
>    Lincoln T. Milner, Team Leader
>    New Media Design Team
>    Millersville University

Everything Lincoln said is true.  What he did not mention is that in some
cases, the Celeron is just as fast as, or faster than, a Pentium II/III of
the same speed.  This is because the chip's cache, while smaller than a
PII/III, is on the chip and runs at the chip's speed instead of the slower
cache on the PII/III.  So AutoCAD or Photoshop may not run as fast, but
Word, Excel and your HTML editor will perform pretty nicely.  I know this is
the graphics list, so if you're looking for the highest performance possible
out of the tools they rely on and money is no object, the fastest PIII is
probably the best bet (although I hear the new AMD chips are supposed to be
pretty nice).  But for anyone who is running Photoshop or Pagemaker on a
Pentium MMX 200 (like I am at home), a Celeron 400 is an absolute screamer.

Mike Eovino
Webmaster
Estes Express Lines
http://www.estes-express.com