Smooth transparent GIFs

by "Garbanga" <webmaster(at)spelaean.com>

 Date:  Thu, 4 Mar 1999 01:05:23 -0800
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I am trying to get a graphic to have edges that are not jagged yet is
>transparent. I use Paint Shop Pro 5.01 and can't seem to make the graphic
>at the following URL look smooth yet not look crappy when transparent.

The only way to do that is to have the background of your image be
the same color as the background color of your page.  Ofcourse,
by that point, you don't usually need a transparency.

Check out:

www.djscifi.com

You'll see a couple things in the left frame.  The background is that
"jagged" transparent GIF.  It's 1-bit (low on memory), and allows me
to change the color of that 'curve' without touching the image.

Then, the spheres that I used for buttons were created against a
black background.  I made the black transparent.  While the images
would still have a black 'halo' against any other color background,
it blends right into this page, without having the corners of the image
overlap the 'curve'.

-Steve