Re: Converting GIFs to WMF

by "Ramon Bartschat" <bartschat(at)goldnet.sk>

 Date:  Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:27:30 +0100
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Theoretically this should not be possible.

GIF is essentially a bitmap (LZW compressed)
WMF (Windows Metafile) is used for vector graphics. (Correct me if I am
wrong)

This means a completely different format!

If you are the author of the GIF file in question then you can vectorize the
indivudual components (objects or layers) of the gif file and then export it
from a vector graphic programm like CorelDraw to WMF format.
If not then you must re-create (re-draw) the graphic in a vector graphics
programm and save it in WMF.

So that is the theory.
Now I tried it and it worked. (?!)
I was able to import a GIF into CorelDraw8 and export it as a WMF file. The
content of the WMF file was still a bitmap thought.

Does anyone know the exact definition of the Windows Metafile WMF format ?

?!
Ramon Bartschat