Re: Background won't show

by "Comharsa" <comharsa(at)clara.net>

 Date:  Thu, 9 Mar 2000 19:16:49 -0000
 To:  "HWG - Graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Ok, I tried what everybody said and still nothing!
>Now I've taken out the external style sheet and put
>all the CSS in the heading.  NN is fine (except for
>the heading still) but IE doesn't show the background.
>  Rather than the CSS, could it have anything to do
>with the table?  I uploaded another page with the same
>external style sheet, but no table and it looks just
>fine - www.desoto.net/users/wwwkef/ericspage.html - so
>that makes me wonder.  The page I'm having trouble
>with is www.desoto.net/users/wwwkef/validate.html
>Thanks for all your help.

I've had another look at your css attributes and think I know what the
problem may be. You have a couple of entries for body in there and one of
them includes a position attribute for the background of center. NS doesn't
use that attribute so displays it OK. IE does accept it and is consequently
centering the background image. As it is 1200 pixels across you will need to
have a browser window open at least 1200 wide in order to see it as you want
to.

As it is, if you are viewing at a lower resolution the coloured part of the
image is off the left hand side of the screen and you can only see the white
part. This makes it appear to be not working when it is in fact there.
Backgrounds don't cause scrollbars so it is not obvious that this is
happening.

Of course, I may be wrong, but take out the center attribute and see if it
works.

HTH

Brian
comharsa(at)clara.net