Re: software packages from Serif

by "Tim Whitcombe" <tim(at)ringsoft.demon.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 4 Jul 1999 11:09:05 +0100
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  <wistfulee(at)shaka.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Hello,
>Let me please preface this question by saying "Yes I know you get what =
>you pay for", but I received a flyer offering 5 software packages =
>(supposedly worth $300) for free ($6.95 shipping charge) from a company =
>called Serif.  The programs are: GraphicsPlus, MailPlus, 3DPlus, =
>PagePlus4 & DrawPlus2.  Has anyone heard of this company & its software? =
> I have a very fussy computer which is still under warranty & I don't =
>want to *upset* ;-) this machine...on the other hand, if it is decent I =
>should check it out.

Serif have been around doing budget DTP software for some time. PagePlus has
been their main product, along with others such as DrawPlus and the like.

PagePlus has a very loyal following. It seems to do most of what the big
boys do, except handle long multipage documents; but for single pages or
flyers, it's fine.

Serif's marketing style is to bundle loads of extras like 3D text effect
generators, fonts, clipart etc which I have bought and found to be decent
value. DrawPlus I've used too, but it's main drawback is its proprietary
file format for vectors, though it can export to gif and jpg.

In a sentence, I reckon their stuff is OK, good for those on a limited
budget, but not really web oriented. All IMHO. I have found their forums at
http://www.serif.com  to be entertaining.

Hope this helps....

Tim.
          http://www.ringsoft.demon.co.uk

PS Better specify to keep everybody happy - the software is for Windows, bot
Macs.