CSS and XML for Dummies...

by "Garbanga" <webmaster(at)spelaean.com>

 Date:  Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:51:12 -0700
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Well I guess I am fortunate and driven enough to be able to function as
> both a graphic designer and programmer --- they both go hand-in-hand.
> Its just strange to me that there are web designers who cant work with
> code and only with graphics and vice-versa ---- o well.

Yuck.  What a self-centered thing to write.  It appears to be
so, anyway.  On top of that, I believe that that isn't what we're
talking about.  Any of us on here who do web graphics can
probably get around in HTML, and maybe DHMTL, Javascript,
CSS, etc. with no problem.  It's pretty easy to gain fluency in
HTML.  We're talking about script writing in languages such
as Perl, C++, Visual Basic, etc..

I'm awaiting further CSS and XML compatibility.  I'm already doing
some sites that are completely controlled by CSS.  The compatibilty
will catch up, I'm sure (hopefully Netscape will add more CSS
support to their browser... {body a:hover} is not supported!).
Linking to CSS documents REALLY speeds a site up.

I've already been working with XML to a certain extent, and it's
database "programming" a designer can live with.

Good graphics and navigation are very important to a site.
Knowledge of techniques for reducing file sizes and incorporating
your graphics with very custom code are important a web
designer.  I think that if someone excels as an artist, they
might find it difficult to grasp database programming.  Programming
and artistry are each on different sides of the brain.

CSS and XML are fairly simple to grasp, and are nothing
but beneficial for everyone.  This, fortunately, is the direction
we're headed in.

For now, we really just need better WYSIWYG online database
management and e-commerce.  What's out now is pretty
limited (especially for e-commerce).

I like beef.

-Steve