RE: Microsoft v/s Macromedia Site

by "Peter Williams" <Peter.Williams(at)hendersons.com.au>

 Date:  Mon, 1 Feb 1999 07:20:00 +1100
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I would imagine that Macromedia have one or two web servers.
I also imagine that they receive about 5 to 10% of the traffic
that Microsoft receive.

Microsoft have a cluster of approx 15 web servers that answer
to www.microsoft.com, that is to allow good availability and
to handle the traffic load.

You are't really comparing apples with apples.

You are correct in your assumption that a text/graphic site
such as MS would be expected to load quicker than an all
singing and dancing smorgasbord such as Macromedia.

No doubt Macromedia have taken enormous pains to make their
Flash, etc as small and fast loading as possible to display
the cleverness of using vector files for ther web and to make
their technology attractive to web artists/designers.

MS use lots of tables and of course that means that the table
doesn't display untill it is completely rendered and all components
are downloaded. That would tend to make MS look slower.

MS pages are almost all the result of a script, there are browser
detection scripts that send you different pages depending on your
browser make and model, also many of th pages are the result of
asp processing and pages created on the fly from database contents.
This too would slow delivery as the servers are heavily loaded.

Peter Williams
LAN Support/Webmaster