Re: client update form

by "Mike Eovino" <meovino(at)erols.com>

 Date:  Mon, 27 Dec 1999 16:37:24 -0500
 To:  <ches(at)io.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Francesca, sorry to hear you're having trouble with it.  Are you having
trouble with Notes/Domino or the UNIX box you're running it on?  There's
plenty of helpful people on the boards at www.notes.net who have been a big
help for me.  We're running it on an AS/400 (we're Big Blue through and
through here) with no trouble whatsoever.  We picked it because it's the
only webserver available for the 400, except for the one that comes with the
400, which is pretty weak.  However, I have friends using it on NT and they
seem to like it as well.  It was pretty new for me when they dropped it on
me, but I was able to pick up the rudiments of development in about a week
and was developing useable applications in about a month.

As for developing GUI based applications, Notes will not give you the same
flexibility as Java, C++ or VB, but it's a lot easier to learn to develop in
than full-blown languages.

I know it's expensive, but I can't imagine Sun giving you anything that will
do what Notes can do for less money.  Will it do the site management?
WYSIWYG translation of documents?  I'd be interested in seeing (and maybe
using) that.

Anyway, Notes/Domino works for what I do, and it works nicely.  I'm not
making this up.

Mike E.