Re: Corel 10

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:24:19 -0500
 To:  "Alan Wilson" <alan(at)wilson-interactive.com>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Without looking at the features, I'll venture to say there will be no
> comparison. Flash is going to be lightyears ahead of Corel simply because
> it's been in the market longer and withstood the beta testing. Plus I'd be
> concerned about the implementation of scripting and that they are building
> the animation on top of an existing piece of software. Still, if all you
> need is some basic animation without much interactivety then it might just
> do the trick for you. But for long term development or big projects... I
> wouldn't go that route. You get what you pay for...

Thank you Alan and thanks to Gail, Tony,  Mark, and Keith for their off-list
emails.

Everyone agreed that Corel Rave's Flash abilities were alright for the
casual user and basic animation, they lack advanced scripting support, are
unable to handle transparency, and even crashed occasionally.  The big
determiner was that scripting was a very important part of interacting with
the viewer in custom interfaces and that Rave was very limited there.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net