Re: hwg-graphics-digest V1 #253

by "Garbanga" <webmaster(at)spelaean.com>

 Date:  Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:05:14 -0800
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>So, tell me Collective, is FLASH headed for stardom or the cyberdump? Do
you
>think it's "hot" or "hype" and why. What is YOUR opinion about why it has
>been so dormant with growth next to none?

I have yet to have a client, out of hundreds of clients, request Flash on
their
site.  I've had a number of clients specifically request that Flash not be
used.
The fact is, in most (not all) cases, in simply isn't practical.  Most sites
that I see using Flash are either web design sites, or completely pointless
sites.

I have seen Flash used for games and fun cartoons and what not, and it
works great there.  However, when you usually see Flash used effectively,
you may also notice that the Flash content is the purpose of the site.

Here are two sites that have some intelligent uses of Flash:

http://www.findwaldo.com
http://www.ea.com

The Where's Waldo site has some fun little Flash games.

The Electronic Arts site uses Flash for it's page titles, and
ads a nice little effect to each page.

I've already seen some nice SMIL out on the web, too.  SMIL
is what is supposed to knock out RealAudio, Quicktime, Flash,
and all else.  I've already seen streaming video and audio on the
web without plug-ins.  Sorry, no URLs in my head right now. That's
the next thing to learn on my agenda.

-Steve