Re: Flash

by "Laura Mollett" <lmollett(at)mis.net>

 Date:  Wed, 26 May 1999 10:17:04 -0400
 To:  "Laura Mollett" <lmollett(at)mis.net>,
<merike(at)mind.net>,
"hwg-graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>>I'm considering buying Flash. Can anyone give me some feedback on Flash?
>>It comes in a package with Dreamweaver and Fireworks. I want to purchase
>>both of these programs but not sure if I need Flash or how much I would
>>use it in my web sites.

> But if you fall in love with this kind of
>thing when you see it, you want flash :)
>
>Laura Mollett

It occurs to me I really should have mentioned a couple of other things.
Flash requires a plug-in. It's a really common and easy to download one, but
some people don't have it/don't want it. Also it's not really handicapped
accessable. I run all the text out of my Flash sites and lay it into a CSS
set-up with some backgrounds, images etc. I don't spend a lot of time on it
(and any dhtml I would use goes into the flash site), but it's there if
someone needs it or prefers what is basically just text. In some ways, if
you like dhtml-type sites, you might want to try flash, but if you (or your
customers) prefer something more basic, you don't really need to spend extra
money on it :)

Also MM announced Flash 4 just this week. You might consider waiting until
the product is shipping, as it is going to have some important upgrades (MP3
sound capability and form generation within flash are the big two). I don't
know if you'll care, but I wouldn't want to buy a product and then realize
the new version just came out a short time later :)

Hope this helps,
Laura Mollett