Web graphics tools (Was: Re: )

by "Paul Stevenson" <p.stevenson(at)virgin.net>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Apr 1999 16:53:45 +0100
 To:  "Julie Katzer" <j.katzer2(at)worldnet.att.net>,
"hwgbasics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "hwggraphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dear Julie,

XARA is a great tool for creating vector graphics for web use.  It's a neat
package and has a good amount of support from their website (w.xara.com),
plus lots of tips and ideas.  There is also an animated 3D module if you
want that too.

BTW, I also use Corel 8, PageMaker, Photoshop, Illustrator, Irfan image
viewer (freeware), all running under Win95.

Xara is so easy to use (not to say that what it's capable of is simple), I
often do page layout with it and my kids learned it easily.  Imports native
files using .cdr, .psd, .ai, .eps, freehand 3, .jpg, .html, .pcd, .ras and
.pal file extensions.  Adjusts transparency, crops bitmaps, uses bitmaps as
textured fills, easy to put text on a curve.  You get a preview of the
finished image before exporting transparent gif's, so you can set other
attributes.  Try doing any of that using Illustrator -no thank you (three
days later you might have something ready...)!

The programme costs a third of the price for Corel 8 and thinks twice as
fast.  Takes up about 7meg on the hard drive.  There are pop-up galleries
for library items like bitmaps, fonts, line styles, fills, colours, layers
and clipart.

Oh yes, and it was built in UK, so it can't be bad!

HTH,

Paul Stevenson
Inside leg 31"

From: Julie Katzer <j.katzer2(at)worldnet.att.net>