Mac/PC dpi...

by "Spelaean" <webmaster(at)spelaean.com>

 Date:  Mon, 1 Feb 1999 02:10:38 -0800
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Graphics display on a Mac with 72 dpi and on a PC with 96 dpi.

Not necessarily... it depends on the setup.

>When I make a screen capture of a graphic on my PC and later reduce
>(resample) from 96 dpi to 72 dpi, without changing anything else, how come
>that the graphic has exactly the same size like before on my PC screen.
>I mean If a PC CRT screen has 96 dpi then a 72 dpi should look smaller ?

It depends on how you're resampling.  If the program you're using
uses "pixels" when resampling to 72 dpi, the image stays the
same size.  If it's any unit other than pixels, it will change size.
It also depends on the program.  Programs optimized for web
graphics will probably keep it the same size regardless of what
units you're using.  Print ready programs, like PhotoShop and
PhotoPaint will change the size when not using pixels.

I think this is correct, but I also think it's 2:10 AM.

-Steve