Re: You CAN Protect Images

by "Travis Wall" <wallt(at)cadvision.com>

 Date:  Fri, 2 Apr 1999 16:40:30 -0700
 To:  "HWG Graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I've seen this topic bantered around for a week and a half now
>and finally decided I'd put in my two cents and clear up some
>things. There IS a way to make images safe. There is a software
>program out there called Artistscope that runs batch files on
>your images that makes any images taken from your website,
>immediately unreadable elsewhere. They appear scrambled. It's
>shareware, but if it's something you are truly concerned with,
>pay the money to have it registered. It's the program graphic
>designers and artists who display their work online in portfolios,
>use. You can find it easily on Download.com.

    And pray-tell, what do you tell people who
    aren't running a java enabled browser? I
    also didn't see any information on speed -
    I suspect since it runs the image through a
    java applet it'll take a bit longer to initialise.

    AND, it doesn't work for anyone with a
    screen-capture program enabled (like
    Windows 95 - try hitting the print screen
    button and hitting paste in your paint
    program). (They do mention this in their
    contact FAQ).

    A similar technique would be to embed
    images in Macromedia Flash files (can't
    'save as' those either, but I'm too lazy to
    dig around my cache to see if little .swf
    files are floating around there). The
    'reload' for flash is faster than their java
    refresh too.

    Oh and BTW artistscope's website is;

http://www.artistscope.webcentral.com.au/

    for thems whats interested

cheers all
 ---
Travis Wall, Graphic Designer
Defiance Visual Industries

"there can be no God's eye view of the world"
 --- (author unknown)