Re: Pirated software (WAS: Re: getting started. need suggestions.)

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:23:09 -0000
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dmitry -

You are probably not aware of this, but all software is covered by the
Universal Copyright Convention, backed up by the Madrid Treaty, and national
laws.

In the UK, we have the Copyright designs and patents Act. Other nations have
similar laws. This makes it a criminal offence to copy software without
first obtaining the permission of the owner. The owner in the case of
software is the company selling it, and they are HIGHLY unlikely to allow
such copying. They are, after all, in the business of earning a living,
which means selling the product in question. Therefore, pirating software is
theft.

It is therefore in their interest to prosecute those persons making illegal
copies of their products.

By publicly stating that you use pirate software, you make yourself liable
to such prosecution.

As I understand it, the Russian Federation is starting to crack down on such
practices. I'd expect the Militia to knock on your door before long.

The only way to avoid such prosecution would be to destroy all the pirated
software in your possession, buy legal versions, and use the legal versions
instead.

It may well be expensive, but it is, after all legal, and peace of mind
alone should be prompting you to do it.

After all, how would you feel if someone stole your work?

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Intelligent Web Design Services
    http://iws.n3.net/
Contact me for my PGP Public Key.

Webmaster for the Impossible Scenarios Group
    http://www.the-isg.co.uk/index.html

> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:26:40 +0300
> From: "Dmitry Murashev" <dimur(at)mail.ru>
> Subject: Re: getting started.  need suggestions.
>
> >>Paint Shop Pro will run about $99 - $120 (note all prices are in
Canadian