Re: QOTM Question of the moment

by "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt(at)ait.fredonia.edu>

 Date:  Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:52:30 -0400
 To:  "Shay Jones" <shay(at)wcnet.net>,
"Cherie Haskins" <catsmeow(at)bright.net>,
"Lonna Poland" <lonna(at)granbury.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Interlaced allows an image to begin displaying before
>all bits are received - thus what you tend to get is a scrolling effect
>(ever see an image sort-of scroll onto the screen till it's fully
>displayed - that's interlaced.  Non-interlaced allows the image data to
>fully download before the browser displays the image - You wait a
minute
>then "pop" the image is there.

Not my experience at all. Non-interlaced images download from the top
down, at full quality; interlaced images do the same, but faster and at
poorer quality, then each fourth line (I believe) is fully downloaded
until the image reaches full quality. So both 'scroll' as you put it.

Your experience of 'pop goes the gif' might be related to images within
tables.