Re: Making GIF w/ Transparent BG

by lonna(at)itexas.net (Lonna Poland)

 Date:  Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:04:34 -0600
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Can anyone tell me how to make the background of a GIF image transparent
>using Paint Shop Pro 4?

This is a very frustrating subject for me also.  I recently found a .wmf
image in my collections.  It had a white background.  I couldn't open the
image at all in PS5, so I opened it in PSP4, then I changed it to a gif
image with the 89a interlaced.  But this didn't work... it didn't make the
image have a "true" transparent background.

When I opened the gif in PS5 it still had a white background and I couldn't
separate the image from it to use or make it truly transparent.  And I
couldn't make the background into a separate layer to work with it, so I'm
stuck with that white background.  Is there something I'm totally missing
here?

I have also tried the magnetic lasso and path tools in attempt to cut the
image out from its background... but still no luck.  This is so difficult to
do, and I've been unable to find an "inexpensive" plugin that will drop the
background from images.

I'm using a PC format for these two programs.  Thanks in advance for any
help.

Lonna