HWG-Graphics + Netiquette [Was: Re: !! GRAPHICS QUESTION !!]

by "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Oct 1999 18:59:16 +0530
 To:  "Graphics [HWG]" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Although I'm inclined to reply to this post 'off-list', I am posting
it here for the benefit/knowledge of others. Although the following
line appears to be directed to F. Havas, it is not so - it is, like
the rest of this post, "general" in nature.

My first reaction to F. Havas's post was : "Oh sure! Be lazy. Make
mistakes. Then blame it on the System". LOL. But anyway...

---------------------------
STEP 1: Know your software
---------------------------
   People have this 'thing' about e-mail clients. Not many people
   explore the capabilities of their software. So, I would suggest
   everybody to take the time and know at-least the "required"
   basics of the software.

   -----------------------------
   Part A : How HWG-lists behave
   -----------------------------
      Ideally, the list re-mailer (the software that makes sure that
      all messages sent to hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org reach everybody who
      has subscribed to the list) should ADD/REPLACE the "REPLY-TO"
      field to hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org. The keyword is "should".

      But most of us know that it doesn't. It just "forwards" them.

   --------------------------
   Part B : How it affects us
   --------------------------
      So, when I click on "reply" button, the mail is sent to the
      original poster by default, INSTEAD of the list.

   ---------------------------
   Part C : How to overcome it
   ---------------------------
      Just make sure that the "TO" field contains hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org

      Many of the software provide the ability to "Reply to All" and
      most people use this feature while replying to the mails from
      the list. THIS SHOULD NOT BE DONE.

   -----------------------------------
   Part D : But who'll type it all in?
   -----------------------------------
      Who says you have to?
      -- In PINE (Telnet), it takes me 6 keystrokes to put in the
         relevant address, that is : hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
      -- In OE (Win 95), it takes me 8 keystrokes to put it in.

      How? I use the "Address Book/Nickname" feature in both. And here
      I say it again: KNOW YOUR SOFTWARE

------------------------------
STEP 2 : Know your Netiquettes
------------------------------
 o  Don't use "Reply-To-All" feature. Everybody in the header will get
    duplicate mail needlessly.
 o  Don't use profane language. I've seen 12 year olds post questions
    on these lists.
 o  Don't use the list to thank somebody.
 o  Don't use the list to flame somebody.
 o  Don't send 'reaction' mails to the list.
 o  Do not address anybody in particular unless you really need to.

---------------------------
STEP 3 : Things to Remember
---------------------------
 o  Before saying anything, ask yourself a simple question:
    Q. Is what I'm saying beneficial to somebody?
    A. Yes - then post to list (eg: answer to a question)
       No  - then sent an 'off-list' post. (eg: thank you)
 o  Before replying, make sure that what you're saying in answer to
    something is not already in your "INBOX", having been sent by
    somebody else aready.
 o  ALL MAILS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED TO THE LIST - NOT TO INDIVIDUALS
 o  Try not to use as many CAPS as I did. Usage of caps is normally
    taken to mean "shouting" than "stressing" in normal conversational
    posts. To highlight, use *stars*, or _underscored_ or other
    similar ASCII tactics.

Can we please simmer down and discuss graphics now?

HTH
[abhay]