Re: web design career becoming obsolete? please no!

by "Franchesca Havas" <ches(at)io.com>

 Date:  Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:15:07 -0500
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I know this is off topic but please let us discuss it for at least another
day.

Unfortunately now it is a game of words. If you put Designer instead of
Developer/Programmer on your resume, yes you are going to get this
treatment. If you put Developer/Programmer/Graphic Artist you will have your
foot in the door.

What the industry today is looking for:
Web Strategy
Web Design Strategy
Web Technology Strategy
Content Strategy
Competitive Positioning Audit
Online Brand Strategy
Information Architecture
Interface Design
Internet
Kiosk
Content Development
Content Strategy
Writing and Editing
Content Management
Editorial Guidelines

Web Applications
Development and/or Integration of User Profiling, Personalization,
Collaborative/Associative Filtering, Adaptive Navigation, Catalog
Management,
Content-Workflow Management, e-mail messaging, Internationalization,
Document
Generation, Threaded Discussion/Chat, Search, and Media Asset Management.

Web Scripting and Programming
HTML, JavaScript/Dynamic HTML, CSS, XML/XSL, CGI, Perl, Cold Fusion, ASP,
JSP, CORBA, COM, Java, Java Media APIs, Shockwave, Flash Generator, ActiveX,
VRML/OpenGL and C++.

Web Style Guidelines
Style guidelines are established and documented for consistency,
continuity and ease-of-maintenance.

Multimedia Development
2D and 3D Animation, Flash, Audio/Video Production, Streaming Media,
QuicktimeVR, FlashPix, Software Design and Prototyping
User Research and Testing.

If all these things are in your grasp of knowledge then you must put them in
the details of your resume and flesh them out in your secondary resume that
many places are now asking for at the second interview.

I have been interviewing for a new job for the last month and every single
one of them starts by asking if I know how to code. I do, they then test my
actual coding skill. I always do well but have not been hired due to my
salary expectations. They are looking for the receptionist that will take
just above minimum wage to do the job and the art. I am holding out for that
job that will pay me my worth.

Sincerely,
F. Havas
Dallas, Texas