Re: Low Res and when to use it

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:02:46 -0500
 To:  "Matthew Seaver" <mseaver(at)bigfoot.com>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I have recently discovered the low res attribute via Dreamweaver4 and
> started experimenting with what it can do to the speed of a site
> downloading. or at least appearing quicker.
>
> Example page: http://www.newwinecc.org/pastors/ron/index.html
>
> Now my question is, What size of graphic do you just leave alone and not
> bother create a low res graphic.
>
> The difference in size of these two are not that much.

I don't think it's the size that is important, rather what you're trying to
focus someone's attention on.  I would not use it for buttons and menus, but
I might use it for the main photo image on a product page. I would only use
it if the image had to be large and I could not optimize it without loosing
quality.  So far compressing the images has been more than adequate for me.

I use a low cost plug-in from http://www.spg-net.com that does a great job
of getting rid of the excess bits in my images.  The problem with the
low-res concept is that it is not supported by all browsers.  Sorry, can't
remember which ones at this time, but I remember it was enough to dissuade
me from using low-res.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net