animation... or not

by "Lonna Poland" <lonna(at)granbury.com>

 Date:  Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:56:52 -0500
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>To me what makes a web designer great as opposed to simply average is the
>ability to use great graphics that SUPPORT the user.    Perhaps you say
>well, "dah" --  but how many peope have actually sat down and tried to
>verbalize or give value this aspect of usability?  THIS is where we need to
>start analyzing, not how well one can make a flash animation, for instance.
>We need to start thinking less about snazz and more about user interface.

I would like to discuss the use of animation and/or slide show on client's
pages, and also background midi music.  Recently there have been comments on
this list praising Flash as the wave of the future, and others saying
limited animation is best.

My personal view on this is to add no animation at all unless it's a "type"
of business where animation would enhance and support the business.  I had
one client who sells collector bears and dolls, so she requested a few
animated bears.  She also wanted "cute" music on her site.... in this case
"Teddy Bears on Parade".  Because these things supported the type of
business, I used them gladly, even with a gaudy pastel rainbow background
because it enhanced her theme :)  But, as a rule I don't advise a client to
use animation or music (although some clients request and expect music for
certain reasons on some of their pages).

What is the general opinion on this.... am I way off base?  When can a
"slide show" benefit a business page?  Also, what software do you recommend
to do a slide show when it's needed?

Lonna