Re: How to make high res. copy from jpg/gif

by "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>

 Date:  Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:01:18 +0530
 To:  "Graphics [HWG]" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Didn't go to the site so.. well, read the suggestion!

Original is low res - Wanted is high res
  Baaad situation to be in. See, what is happening when you're
  changing the resolution is that you're using more dots to
  define an original dot. Overall, it will not change the
  quality of the print except for the edges which might not
  print that "blurred" but the difference will be almost
  imperceptible in regular printing. However in case of high-
  end stuff, the difference will be there in that the printed
  image won't "jag" that much. In web, since the number of
  pixels is pre-defined, the image will just increase in
  display size.

  Further, the image size will increase drastically.

How to save 'em
---------------
  GIF won't serve your printing purposes since it can't take
  care of more than 256 colours at a time.

  JPEG will compress but higher compression will cause your
  image to lose quality. Now if you have increased the
  resolution, the file size has increased but as such the
  quality (if you really want to know the truth) has not
  increased. So, you can't have high compression. I would
  suggest a compression of only around 10-15% (which isn't
  much by my opinion)

What to do?
  Scan high-res. Reduce. The best way to go about doing things. :)

[abhay]