Tables and Gifs and ugly white spaces

by "J. Foliot" <fouram(at)sympatico.ca>

 Date:  Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:16:22 -0400
 To:  <alchugby(at)worldnet.att.net>
 Cc:  "graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Albert Asked:
>Two questions: 1.  I wonder whether people using other browsers than NN3
>can see the page the same way I do, i.e. with colored bands matching the
>banner.  2.  How can I eliminate the white band on top of the banner?

Albert, it's as much about browsers as screen res.  At 640 X 480, you are
"forcing" a horizontal scroll of some 40 pixels
plus...<opinion>YECH!!!!</opinion>

To answer the bigger question, each browser has different "off-sets", even
among different versions from the same company.  I used to have a chart that
gave the pixel offsets for each of the popular browsers (but I've lost
it...sorry), if memory serves it averaged out at about 8 pixels from the
top, 8 pixels from the left.  Once CSS is better implemented, that'll be the
way to go, but until then there is no way to eliminate that top white border
from your page.

John Foliot
Another 4:00 AM Web Thing
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

www.fouram.com
fouram(at)sympatico.ca

Unsolicited commercial messages sent via email will be billed
$25/message plus $.01/character, incl. header lines.  No exceptions.
Sending such mail constitutes agreement to these terms.