Re: Host-providers disallowing both FrontPage and FTP

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Thu, 4 May 2000 13:02:02 -0700
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>,
"Bob Stein" <stein(at)visibone.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Bob,

I don't believe that they are DENYING. Well, maybe they are, but that seems
too strong a word. See, many servers will DISCOURAGE or PREVENT you from
using FTP while FrontPage extensions are on, because the two systems somehow
conflict with each other, and has been know to cause the ENTIRE directory or
site to simply vanish. Weird, huh? My host provided STRONGLY DISCOURAGES
dual-access use. My previous provider had never heard of this thing, but
couldn't explain why the FTP programs (CuteFTP, WS_FTP) would frequently
crash while logged in, or their client's sites would vanish for no apparent
reason.

If you use FrontPage, then supposedly you don't need FTP and FrontPage has
file-transfer capabilities. Personally, I wouldn't install FrontPage if you
gave me an unlimited-use license with free upgrades for the next millennium,
after delivering the software for free in a gold-lined box, but that's me.
As such, I cannot attest to the validity of the above statements, but I have
heard of this from too many places (like hosting company techs) to dismiss
it as mere rumour.

If you use FrontPage, don't access your FP-Enabled sites with FTP.
If you DON'T use FrontPage, delete all of it's spacewasting directories and
folders.

Hope this helps,

Kehvan M. Zydhek