Re: Just Curious..Or maybe Just a Silly Question

by "Tim Whitcombe" <tim(at)ringsoft.demon.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:22:41 -0000
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hi Sharon

If I understand the query... you're asking why you can keep the same
dimensions of a graphic file (xx pixels by yy pixels) but when saved at
different times it's physical size (in bytes) changes. If this is not what
you're asking, read no further I've misunderstood...

If it is what you're asking, I presume it is because you are saving the
images as jpgs, and the compression / image quality ratio of a jpg file can
be changed. It depends on the s/w you are using... if it doesn't ask about
jpg quality, it might just use it's own default all the time, it might make
a best guess.

Fireworks 3 has a very nifty export to jpg option that lets you play with
the setting to reach an acceptable compromise between file size and image
quality, with on screen previews.

Hope this helps...

Tim.
          http://www.ringsoft-designs.co.uk