Re: Text Placement in Paintshop Pro 5.01

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:21:15 -0700
 To:  "Villano,
Paul" <VillanoP(at)usachcs-emh1.army.mil>,
"HWG GRAPHICS" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
In pretty much all versions of PSP that I've used (from 3.14 up), the text
placement is a combination of where you click the A in the image, as well as
the settings in the text dialog AND how much text there is.

For example, if I click the A at position 100, 100 and have the settings for
left aligned and enter just one line of text, the TOP LEFT corner of the
text will appear where I clicked. For right aligned, it's the TOP RIGHT
corner that appears where I clicked. For center aligned, it's the TOP CENTER
of the text that is placed where clicked.

However, various other factors come in to play when there are multiple lines
of text, multiple fonts used in the same text selection, or multiple styles.
Kerning and Leading also can mess with you.

How I do my text is I typically set it to be an antialiased floating
selection that I CUT once it appears, then paste as a new layer. This gives
me the freedom to place it anywhere I want with pixel-perfect precision,
without effecting other layers. I use vector text ONLY when I want to
stretch or compress the text in ways that normally can't be done with the
font chosen.

Good luck,
Kehvan