Re: Netscape/IE ?

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:10:14 -0800
 To:  <Honeywebster(at)aol.com>,
<optima(at)hot.ee>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Actually, everyone, Lauri's right -- it DOES show correctly in IE -- the
reason it looks like it doesn't is because the image, which is actually
5x29999, is ALL WHITE except for the top, which has a touch of yellow near
the bottom of a band of blue. You'll notice there's a scrollbar on the
browser -- why would there be a scrollbar if there was nothing else there?

My question to Lauri is why is this a JPG and not a GIF? I see no purpose
for this being a JPG. As the image now stands, there are only 31 colors in
it. I reduced it to 16 colors, and at 6x magnification, can see no glaringly
obvious color shifts as a result. The resulting GIF is 741 bytes. In
contrast, the original JPG as stored in my browser cache, is 3241 bytes in
size (an increase of about 4.4 times).

As for Netscape not loading the image, sure enough, both 4.76 and 6 refuse
to load the file... My guess (based on a Net6 message), is that for some
reason, this file is missing a portion of the headers that define it as a
JPG file. Net6 DID say it was JPEG, but said it couldn't view this mime-type
(yet it did display "raw" jpgs on a different site without problem). Net4
didn't give any clue other than the broken image symbol, so all I can say is
that the image MAY be corrupted a bit... As Janet says, resave and reload
your image to see if this fixes it.

Kehvan