Re: graphics software under Linux

by Kathy Wheeler <kathyw(at)home.albury.net.au>

 Date:  Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:25:40 +1000
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  <jopop(at)parallaxstudios.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> Unfortunately, I have not had the time to learn the ins and outs of Linux
> to get it configured to do what I want and need it to do.

If you have a spare hard drive and a weekend to dabble, get a copy of the
latest Red Hat or SuSE. *Really* easy to install these days ... and just play
with it a bit. Even out-of-the-box and without wrappers set up Linux is
probably an order of magnitude more secure than an out-of-the-box windows
configuration, and from my experience way more stable.

There's heaps of apps that come with most major distributions and you can
usually dl them from the net if what's on the CD is not current enough for
you (or you get one of the $1 CD's with mutliple distributions but no apps).

Personally I get a boxed set of either Red Hat or SuSE every year or so as
the manuals are handy to have and the choice is nice.

KathyW.

PS Install at least some fo the games - my 8 year old daughter loves
SameGame, and can use Linux, MacOS and Windows, like they are just "another
computer".