Re: text graphics - curved text

by "Alastair" <me(at)alastair.force9.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 14 Dec 1997 19:24:21 -0000
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I can do some tricks and effects with text in PSP, but as far as I know,
>you can't curve text with it.  I know that there are specific programs that
>are better at doing this...

Well - it's not exactly obvious, but it is possible with some perseverance:
To produce curved text:
    1.    Start with a *LARGE* image. At least 1200x600.
    2.    Place some *BIG* text about 2/3 of the way up it (90pt. approx)
    3.    Apply the "Circle" deformation
    4.    Apply the "Perspective - Vertical" deformation at about 80-100%
    5.    Apply the "Perspective - Vertical" deformation at about 10-15%
    6.    Resample down lots to get rid of the jaggies :-)
    7.    Use the magic wand to select the surrounding image, invert
selection and then use "Image | Crop".

This will produce a nice (slightly bulbous) curved text effect. Although you
do not have as much control over the final image, you may like the effect
better - it's a bit more "organic". Then again you might hate it, but then -
hey,  that's life.

Another approach is to use something like WordArt (bundled with MS Word).
You can make the image really big on screen, push the "PrintScreen" button,
paste it into PSP and resample (to get rid of the jaggies again). This
approach works quite well if you want the images to be less than half your
screen's resolution (and for the web, you probably do).

The PSP method isn't the best way to curve text. However, I've yet to see
much graphics that couldn't be done with PSP, even if it does take a bit
longer than PS4...<g>

Alastair
======
Lighting Web Design