Re: Colors & Palette

by simone(at)genesisnetwork.net (Demitrius)

 Date:  Sat, 17 Jan 1998 14:36:17 -0800
 To:  "Chad Douglas" <chad(at)infofree.dalco.net>,
"Larry Steiner" <dls(at)bainbridgega.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I always have deisnged pages for 800x600.

Mistake, IMO.

>Although Windows 95 defaults to
>800x600 resolution,

Hmmm. That's interesting. What Win95 build do you use? I've done many
installations of Win95 Versions 1,2,3 and 4 (B) and not one has "defaulted"
to 800 - even with 4 megs video ram and a 21" monitor. They all go to 640.

>most people wind up increasing it (in my experience).

Perhaps in your circles. As a website developer, I am out in the "real
world" face to face with clients 2 to 3 times per week. I can count on less
than one hand the number of people who have had their monitors set to
something other than 640 x 480 and 256 colors.

>And,
>besides, there really isn't enough screen real-estate in 640x480 to design
>nice web page.

Don't get me started! Do you mean to say that:
http://www.cnet.com
http://cool.infi.net/
http://www.killersites.com/
http://www.projectcool.com/
http://www.highfive.com/
http://www.internet.com/
http://www.zdnet.com/zdimag/
http://microsoft.com/
just to name a *few* (out of thousands) are less than "nice" pages?!

A website should be able to be viewed at all resolutions. Period.

Regards,
Demitrius >I<